Saturday, August 31, 2013

Eulogy for my father - Sunday, August 25, 2013


Sunday, August 25, 2013 Eulogy

It seems to me that if fathers are handed out by random chance, I was fortunate to have won the grand prize of the fatherhood lottery and was honored to share my life with this amazing man. His nature was such that through the eyes of a child, he could do no wrong. Through the eyes of an adult, if he had any blemishes or imperfections, these were easily overlooked and forgiven.

His work ethic was simply second to none, and I'm forever grateful to have learned the value of hard work and life discipline from him. Just watching his dedication to family and his balanced approach to work, career and the achievement of his dreams, instills within me valuable life lessons about showing up, leaning in and being responsible to someone or something other than myself.

Ron was not only my father but my role model, my hero, my mentor, my coach and my friend. I think back fondly in celebration of his life with sincere gratitude and inspiration of many wonderful memories, witness of his selfless acts of kindness for the many people that he touched in his life and his relentless pursuit of leaving everything he engaged in better then when he arrived.

My father was a natural leader who's unique personality and sense of humor was balanced with perfect timing that enabled him to find positive ends to every challenge presented in life.
The light that always shown so brightly through his being into all aspects of his life continues to illuminate my path and the paths of all who knew him. It is said that a candle that lights another loses nothing; Ron's candle inspired many and makes the world a much brighter place to live.

I would like to share with you a few lyrics from a song by Dan Fogelberg, that remind me much of my father. These are from the song "Leader of the band"

He earned his love
Through discipline
A thundering, velvet hand
His gentle means of sculpting souls
Took me years to understand


The leader of the band is tired
And his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through my instrument And his song is in my soul
My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
I'm just a living legacy
To the leader of the band


I thank you for the music
And your stories of the road
I thank you for the freedom
When it came my time to go
I thank you for the kindness
And the times when you got tough And, papa, I don't think I
Said 'I love you' near enough


The leader of the band is tired
And his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through my instrument And his song is in my soul
My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
I'm just a living legacy
To the leader of the band


While Alzheimer and Parkinson's disease had an impact on his physical life towards the end of his time, these cruel afflictions were powerless to steal the unshakable dignity of his character and the beautiful essence of his nature. With mixed emotions, I am thankful that he is released from the physical limitations of this world to soar freely into the universe, whole again and one with God.

Father .... I hope and pray that you bathe in this release and forever rest in peace.

I would like to thank his beloved wife Sandy who stood boldly by his side during times of great challenge and adversity. I know her support and the direction of his care that she provided for him, was a tremendous comfort to Ron and allowed for his peaceful transition from this world; surrounded by love.

In closing, I would feel remiss if I do not say a word about my uncle Neal who left us during the same week as my father. As we prepared for the passing of my father, we heard the news about Uncle Neal. As the oldest of the 8 children (with my father being the youngest), Neal provided much guidance and inspiration to my father during his childhood and throughout their lives.

When we heard of my father’s passing so close to Neal's, my wife commented "In a romantic / family oriented way; perhaps this was Neal's nature to once again provide guidance and a caring example to Ronny as he did so many times throughout their lives".

My condolences to Neal's family and the extended Trasente family as we share in the loss of yet another loved one who was a devoted husband, fantastic father, a loving grandfather, uncle, (my Godfather) and supportive brother amongst 8 siblings as well as a large extended family. 

Neal was also well known in the community as an ethical giant, a leader of men and a steward of the AZ State government. Many significant community achievements were achieved under his command during many decades of selfless service to the state of Arizona.

I bow to the love, truth, light, and peace that shown so brightly through the lives of these two men.

I bow to the love, truth, light and peace that shines within each of you.


I bow to the love, truth, light and peace within me.


For when we live through this place within our hearts, we are all one and never separated from the light of those that we love.

Namaste and May God Bless With all my love,

No comments:

Post a Comment